Serhiy Forostyak, MD, Ph.D.
Chief Scientific Officer
Dr. Forostyak has graduated from a Faculty of Medicine at Ternopil’ State Medical University, Ukraine in 2005 (with honours). After receiving his first degree specialization in the field of general surgery (2008) Dr. Forostyak has continued his education at the 2nd Faculty of Medicine at Charles University in Prague and Institute of Experimental Medicine at Czech Academy of Sciences.
He has defended his doctoral thesis in 2012 and received a title PhD in Neuroscience. During his doctoral and postdoctoral years he has received several prestigious fellowships and awards (CORTEX: Marie Curie Early Stage Training Net; FENS Young Investigator Training Program; Czech Neuroscience Society award for best publication published by a Young Neuroscientist; Development of Research Teams for the BIOCEV; EUROCELLNET travel fellowship etc.) and underwent internship in prestigious universities (Cambridge University, UK; Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium; Neuroscience Institute Cavalieri Ottolenghi, Italy; University of Pittsburgh, USA). Dr. Forostyak’s research lays in the field of regenerative and translational medicine with a main focus on evaluation of regenerative potential of stem cells (mesenchymal stromal cells; embryonic stem cells; induced pluripotent stem cells etc.) and biomaterials, and their application to cure neurotrauma and neurodegenerative disorders. Current scientific record includes 22 publications (WOS) in prestigious international peer-reviewed journals, 3 book chapters and 3 papers are currently in press. Dr. Forostyak has been principal/co-principle investigator in several research projects. He is acting as a scientific evaluator of national and international grant agencies, but also contributes as a reviewer in prestigious scientific journals. He has been actively participating at numerous national and international conferences, but also acted as an organising committee member at several international meetings.
| Publications (Web of Science)|
1) Dayanithi G, Forostyak O, Forostyak S, Kayano T, Ueta Y, Verkhratsky A. Vasopressin and oxytocin in sensory neurones: expression, exocytotic release and regulation by lactation. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, Vol. 8. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-31361-1. AUG 30 2018
2) Sykova E; Cejkova J; Cejka C; Forostyak S. Collecting stem cells from bones or from line cells used for suppressing myocardial infarction and posttraumatic shock, and treating infections caused by treatment of any kind of disease.
3) Sykova E, Forostyak S, Rychmach P. Konradova S., Matejckova N. A stem cell therapy of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: from bench to bedside. Cytotherapy, Vol. 20, 5. MAY 2018
4) Tyzack GE, Hall CE, Sibley CR, Cymes T, Forostyak S, Carlino G,Meyer IF, Schiavo G, Zhang SC, Gibbons GM, Newcombe J, Patani R, Lakatos A. A neuroprotective astrocyte state is induced by neuronal signal EphB1 but fails in ALS models. Nature communications
5) Forostyak S and Sykova E. Neuroprotective Potential of Cell-Based Therapies in ALS:From BenchtoBedside. Frontiers in neuroscience. Vol: 11, 591. OCT 24 2017
6) Sykova E, Rychrnach P, Drahoradova I, Konradova S, Ruzickova K, Vorisek I, Forostyak S, Homola A, Bojar M. Transplantation of Mesenchymal Stromal Cells in Patients With Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: Results of Phase I/IIa Clinical Trial. Cell transplantation
7) Forostyak O, Butenko O, Anderova M, Forostyak S, Sykova
8) Forostyak O, Forostyak S, Kortus S, Sykova E, Verkhratsky A, Dayanithi G. Physiology of Ca2+ signalling in stem cells of different origins and differentiation stages. CELL CALCIUM.
9) Tukmachev D, Forostyak S, Koci Z, Zaviskova K, Vackova I, Vyborny K, Sandvig I, Sandvig A, Medberry CJ, Badylak SF, Sykova E, Kubinova S. Injectable Extracellular Matrix Hydrogels as Scaffolds for Spinal Cord Injury Repair. Tissue engineering part A. Vol: 22, 3-4.
10) Sykova E, Forostyak S, Homola A, Konradova S, Ruzickova K, Syka M, Jendelova P. Stem Cells for Treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: Preclinical and Clinical Study. Cell transplantation.
11) Kubinova S, Horak D, Hejcl A, Plichta Z, Kotek J, Proks V, Forostyak S, Sykova E. SIKVAV-modified highly superporous PHEMA scaffolds with oriented pores for spinal cord injury repair. Journal of tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. Vol.: 9, 11. NOV 2015
12) Kubinova S, Tukmachev D, Vyborny K, Koci Z, Zaviskova K, Vackova I, Forostyak S, Sykova E. Extracellular Matrix Hydrogels as Scaffolds for Spinal Cord Injury Repair. Tissue engineering part A.
13) Raha-Chowdhury R, Forostyak S, Zhao JW, Stott SRW, Bomford A. Expression and cellular localization of hepcidin mRNA and protein in normal rat brain. BMC Neuroscience. Vol: 16, 24. APR 21 2015.
14) Forostyak S, Homola A, Turnovcova K, Svitil P, Jendelova P, Sykova E. Intrathecal Delivery of Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Protects the Structure of Altered Perineuronal Nets in SOD1 Rats and Amends the Course of ALS. STEM CELLS. Vol: 32, 12. DEC 2014
15) Kubinova S, Tukmachev D, Forostyak S, Hejcl A, Horak D, Plichta Z, Proks V, Medberry C, Sykova E. Comparison of synthetic versus biologic hydrogel scaffolds in spinal cord injury treatment. Journal of tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. Vol: 8, Special Issue. JUN 2014
16) Forostyak S, Jendelova P, Sykova E. The role of mesenchymal stromal cells in spinal cord injury, regenerative medicine and possible clinical applications. BIOCHIMIE. Vol.: 95, 12. DEC 2013.
17) Sykova Eva; Forostyak Serhiy. Stem cells in regenerative medicine. Laser therapy. Vol: 22, 2. 2013.
18) Kubinova S, Hejcl A, Forostyak S, Baranovicova L, Horak D, Plichta Z, Proks V, Sykova E. Biomodified hydrogel scaffolds for neural differentiation and the treatment of spinal cord injury. Journal of tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. Vol: 6, Special Issue, Supplement 1.SEP 2012.
19) Forostyak S, Homola A, Jendelova P, Sykova E. The intrathecal application of human bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells improves motor activity, prolongs survival and preserves perineuronal
20) Vanecek V, Zablotskii V, Forostyak S, Ruzicka J, Herynek V, Babic M, Jendelova P, Kubinova S, Dejneka A, Sykova E. Highly efficient magnetic targeting of mesenchymal stem cells in spinal cord injury. International journal of nanomedicine. Vol: 7. 2012.
21) Arboleda D, Forostyak S, Jendelova P, Marekova D, Amemori T, Pivonkova H, Masinova K, Sykova E. Transplantation of Predifferentiated Adipose-Derived Stromal Cells for the Treatment of Spinal Cord Injury. Cellular and molecular neurobiology. Vol: 31, 7. OCT 2011.
22) Forostyak S, Jendelova P, Kapcalova M, Arboleda D, Sykova E. Mesenchymal stromal cells prolong the lifespan in a rat model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Cytotherapy. Vol: 13, 9. OCT 2011.
23) Dayanithi G, Forostyak O, Forostyak S, Arboleda D, Viero C, Strunin D, Folkova D; Sykova E, Shibuya I, Ueta Y, Toescu EC, Verkhratsaky. Neuron-glia interactions in peripheral vasopressin and oxytocin systems unveiled in transgenic rats. GLIA. Vol: 59, Supplement: 1. OCT 2011.
24) Dayanithi G, Forostyak O, Forostyak S, Arboleda D, Ueta Y, Sykova E. Transgenic rat models to visualize fluorescent vasopressin and oxytocin in the dorsal root ganglia and glial cells. Vol: 41. 2011.
25) Forostyak S, Jendelova P, Kapcalova M, Arboleda D, Sykova E. Mesenchymal stem cells prolong lifespan in a rat model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Vol: 41. 2011
26) Carulli D, Pizzorusso T, Kwok JCF, Putignano E, Poli A, Forostyak S, Andrews MR, Deepa SS, Glant TT, Fawcett JW. (Fawcett,
27) Arboleda D, Forostyak S, Sykova E, Jendelova P. The use of adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells in spinal cord injury repair. Vol: 39. 2009.
Štěpanovská J, Matějka R
Bioreaktor – továrna na umělé orgány, Pražská technika, 2/2018
Published: 2018 ¦ PDF ¦ https://media.cvut.cz/cs/publikace/20180416-prazska-technika-2-2018
Kaláb M, Karkoška J, Kamínek M, Šantavý P.;
Transplantation of allogeneic bone graft in the therapy of massive post-sternotomy defects – 6 years of experience with the method; Rozhl Chir. Fall 2016;95(11):399-406. Czech.
Kaláb M, Karkoška J, Kamínek M, Matějková E, Slaměníková Z, Klváček A et al.
Reconstruction of massive post-sternotomy defects with allogeneic bone graft: four-year results and experience using the method. Interact CardioVasc Thorac Surg 2016;22:305–13.
NARDONE, Giorgia, Jorge Oliver de la CRUZ, Martin PEŠL, Stanislava KOŠKOVÁ a Giancarlo FORTE
YAP mechanosensor as a crucial determinant in the differentiation of adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells, ISSCR meeting, Stokholm on June 24-27/2015
Kaláb M., Karkoška J., Kamínek M., Šantavý P.
Successful three-year outcome in a patient with allogenous sternal bone graft in the treatment of massive post-sternotomy defects; International Journal of Surgery Case Reports 7 (2015) 6–9,
Published: 2014 Dec 24 ¦ PDF ¦ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4336405/
KRUTÁ, Miriama, Monika ŠENEKLOVÁ, Jan RAŠKA, Anton SALYKIN, Lenka ZERZÁNKOVÁ, Martin PEŠL, Eva BÁRTOVÁ, Michal FRANEK, Aneta BAUMEISTEROVÁ, Stanislava KOŠKOVÁ, Kai J. NEELSEN, Aleš HAMPL, Petr DVOŘÁK a Vladimír ROTREKL.
Mutation frequency dynamics in HPRT locus in culture adapted hESCs and iPSCs correspond to their differentiated counterparts. Stem Cells and Development, Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., 2014. ISSN 1547-3287.
Published: 2014 May 17 ¦ https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/scd.2013.0611
Kalab M, Molitor M, Kubesova B. and Lonsky V.;
Use of allogenous bone graft and osteosynthetic stabilization in treatment of massive post-sternotomy defects, European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery 41 (2012) e182–e184;